Walpi pueblo

Walpi pueblo
3 0 c m
actual image size: 30cm x 22cm


View (looking southward) of buildings at Walpi pueblo on First Mesa, with several stone structures (used as goat and sheep pens) visible in the foreground. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), the 'mesa is about 700 feet above the surrounding plain, and is only reached by narrow pathways, only one of which is passable for horses and burros. The mesa is composed of solid sandstone and its summit embraces an area of about one-half mile, narrowing as it extends to the location of W[a]lpi. Between W[a]lpi and the other two villages [Tewa and Sichomovi] the mesa diminishes to a width of ten feet over which all communication with W[a]lpi must be had. The constant travel over this mesa has worn paths to the depth of several inches in the solid rock.'

Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.

Image Details

Accession Number
United States of America
Arizona; First Mesa; Walpi
Cultural Group
SW Pueblo Hopi
John (Johannes) Karl Hillers
1879 or 1881

© Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford

buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas